Entry fees?

The place to come for registering and the latest info about the VHR Olympics

Re: Entry fees?

Postby Piccolo » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:56 am

Chassie wrote:Summary: Yay for prestige over winnings XD!

Ditto that, and everything said above :D There's not much more for me to say, really, everyone else's said it. To be honest I don't mind in the least if they don't win money - w/p/s is often just as important to me. Oh, and the nameplates are just awesome. XD Thanks a ton to Bama and Nef and everyone involved. :aww:
Piccolo

Postby Chassie » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:52 am

Banafrit (+everyone)- Yeah I'd be happy to try and organise something, I doubt anyone could take on the task alone as it would be a mammoth job but if I can get volunteers to take control of different sections then it could be good :) I would like to get official approval for it so I might start up a post specifically for it so that I can get some feedback on who's interested and whether we can get official approval. I'm assuming the horses will still get scores during events so score would determine rank. If anyone is interested see this thread: click here
- Home of the British Warmblood -
Main RanchImage Sales RanchImage Click the Image for Link
Chassie

Postby crazy4equines » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:38 am

Well first and foremost Thank-You Bama for all of your time and effort that you have put into the olympics. I don't post alot on the forums but I am a very active player. I kinda stalk the forums :D But I just had to post on here. When I entered the olympics it never once occured to me about the money. I thought what a priviledge this would be and what an honor it would be if one of my horses actually could win or not win at least I participated... For everyone that is concerened about the money, why can't you, after the olympics is over make events that are age restricted for olympic horses only? Yeah it might not be alot of money but get over it. I am one of the players that took some of my very best stock out of high winning parents and have paid huge stud fees and have paid huge event training fees on a few of my olympic horses and while I want them to win, I am not going to loose sleep if they don't and you know virtual money is just that.Why get all worked up about it, there is much bigger things in life to worry about then vhr money..... ok I am done with my little rant... :D

oh sorry for any typo's.....
Last edited by crazy4equines on Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crazy4equines

Postby babyizzy2 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:15 pm

Hawk wrote:Massive kudos to Prancer, Jelly, Odette and MissJockey. You guys rock.

I've watched the complaints and whining going on via forums as well as in the chat and all I can think is This is why we can't have anything nice. The VHR birthday parties, the Halloween contests, Christmas parties... Everything... All these things have been cancelled in the past and every time someone or a group of someones puts their heart, spirit and time into setting up something for the fun and enjoyment of the players, there is always a high volume of complaining because it's not enough, we want more, gimme gimme gimme. This is supposed to be something fun for all to enjoy, but the greed, as always ends up ruining it and we all just decide it's so not worth the effort anymore. Anyone remember the Halloween party and events, all the greed and drama that flooded the forums? *Sighs*

Yup, this is why we can't have anything nice.

Bamalama, you are amazing! :dog:

It is a shame so many wish to whine over a little fake money. I say everyone that wants to complain, needs to chip in to pay Bama for all the time and effort she put into organizing and setting all of this up. Months of work, many hours a day. We only owe her around $4800 for all the time she put into this. But then again, we may need that to hire a cleaning company to come in and clean up all the manure that's being dumped on her hard work.

A FLIPPING MEN! :)
Please message me if I won anything! Thanks!
http://www.virtualhorseranch.com/viewra ... nch=249998
ImageImage
babyizzy2

Postby quasarsmom » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:31 am

The way I understood it from the beginning there wasn't suppose to be any prize money involved just the medals and prestige. I to don't think the money earned is as important as the W/P/S ratio....I do plan on continuing to event my Olympic ponies after the games are completed.

And thank you, 'Bama, Nef, and the rest of the Olympic team making this possible. :D
PURE Sales List PURE Champion Stud/Brood Ranch Stud/Brood Ranch PB/Goodie List
Specializing in the pure, non inbred eventers of VHR!
Optimus Prime for President!
If you seek to master others, you must first master yourself. -Mercedes Lackey
quasarsmom

Postby Dukes » Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:26 am

Who the heck needs prize money anyways when you can brag that you are the best darn trainer in a certain discipline? Think of the business you'd rack in after that :lol: Bama worked her butt off to give us something to gather around and enjoy. And really... if you win money off the Olympics isn't that kinda like cheating? 2 1/2yrs (for the horses) of easy money? I mean we all knew what we were getting into... You knew you were going to have to train horses as close to the opt. as possible in a lot of events - wouldn't that be a red flag there? 'Hey I'm going to lose x amount of years in this event.' And if you're really that worried about turning this guys around into eventers, well I'm sure many of them will have long careers in something else :lol: There's always an event that can come after another.

So thanks Bama for going to all the trouble to do this, and thanks to all the stewards who'll be watching our events.
Dukes
Site Admin

Postby elise:) » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:52 pm

would anyone else like to take a few swings at me?
please, go right ahead. :roll:
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ Three Sixty Farm (.360.) --- home of the Alaskan Draft Pony,
Alpine Sport Pony, Colorado Cow Pony and the Frozen Draft Horse
Event Stimulus Program :: Three Sixty Olympians :: .360. Training
elise:)

Postby greenfoxx » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:35 pm

elise:) wrote:would anyone else like to take a few swings at me?

We're not trying to "swing" at you. We are just voicing our opinion, and everyone has a right to an opinion. I personally think that it shouldn't always be about the money, but I understand that you want your horses to have winnings etc. But, it is true that in the RL Olympics there are no winnings, and nobody complains about that :lol: It's about the prestige. (plus fun, on VHR)

I wasn't, and I don't think anyone else was, trying to offend you or anything.
greenfoxx

Postby elise:) » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:03 pm

greenfoxx wrote:
elise:) wrote:would anyone else like to take a few swings at me?

We're not trying to "swing" at you. We are just voicing our opinion, and everyone has a right to an opinion. I personally think that it shouldn't always be about the money, but I understand that you want your horses to have winnings etc. But, it is true that in the RL Olympics there are no winnings, and nobody complains about that :lol: It's about the prestige. (plus fun, on VHR)

I wasn't, and I don't think anyone else was, trying to offend you or anything.

Exactly, we're all entitled to an opinion... funny how that seems to only work one way here :roll:
You can't even pretend that people weren't trying to offend me, with the unbelievable level of condescension found in many of the responses. sorry.

I really don't think i made a big deal about the winnings. I felt as though we were just having a conversation until people starting jumping down my throat. I tried to point out that I wasn't bent out of shape over it, I was just thinking out loud. I had just been so caught up in trying to get my entries bred up/bought and trained, that i didn't really think about it. No where did I say that I expected it to change, it was just wishful thinking.
And yes, I know that there isn't prize money awarded in the real Olympics, but I was just pointing out that, while we are trying to run the Olympics like they are run in real life, the situation is not at all as it is in real life. Like I said before, horses that are entered in the real Olympics are able to compete and earn money before and after the event. And the real Olympics only take up a week or so of a horse's life, rather than 2ish years, as is the case here. I'm not saying there are flaws with the way the VHR olympics are being run, I actually feel as though they've come up with the most fair way to run the events. I am trying to point out that you just can't really compare our Olympics to the real one, because the entire situation is very different.

Excuse me for thinking this was a community where you could voice your opinion without getting bashed for it. I was mistaken, you may only safely express your opinion, if most of the community agrees with you. My bad, I won't make that mistake again.

I really resent being made out to be an ungrateful, greedy person. I have not been going around bashing the Olympics or the wonderful job the Ops have been doing. And I am not ungrateful. I have voiced my appreciation and thanks for all their work on other threads. And yes, my goal in this game is usually to make money. But not just to have it. I am certainly not rolling in the VHR dough and the only reason I'm trying to save up money is so that I can upgrade my accounts in a few month when they expire (otherwise I will not be able to keep playing the game) and because I want to hold a huge pony trainoff with an awesome prize pool. I never said I would be any less proud of my entries or that i didn't think it was worth my time anymore. I simply said that I would keep that in mind in future Olympics and likely not enter horses that i paid a crapton for. How can anyone really blame me for that? I highly doubt people would enter their most prized horses in the real Olympics if that meant they couldn't compete them before the event and that they would be past their prime age for competing after the Olympics.

Now if we could please just lay this thread to rest. I get it, I'm a terrible, greedy person. Let's move on.

edit;; i also just want to say that i've read over the rules a number of times and I have not seen anywhere that it say there will be no entry fees/purses on events. Perhaps I looked over it, but I do not ever recall hearing that. And also there was talk about prizes being awarded depending on the turn out. So, no. I did not exactly know it was going to be like this.
Last edited by elise:) on Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ Three Sixty Farm (.360.) --- home of the Alaskan Draft Pony,
Alpine Sport Pony, Colorado Cow Pony and the Frozen Draft Horse
Event Stimulus Program :: Three Sixty Olympians :: .360. Training
elise:)

Postby PaperWings » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:27 pm

Halter events had entry fees because I was under the belief the Olympic ranch would have the purse set as 0 by default for events. So... my bad! Although I did ask someone to check that I had set them up right and they said they were perfect -giggles-

Ah well, only pixels right? ;D We aren't slaving real money into these horses (minus colours/PBs/upgrades) >.> Is just a game ^^ And all the rules and how the events would run were listed before any events were made.

Elise, no one is getting at you. If you weren't currently taking part in the event your opinion may have been taken better. But as I just said it was all listed before events, you should have known you were never going to get money out of it; and you willingly put yourself forward to take part in the event.

Now I wish the Hunter events would get going already, my moose has itchy feets D:
Ranch #219830
PaperWings

Postby Sutton » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:33 am

When I heard about the olympics I was super excited and pumped. I spent a lot of money on trainings because I thought it would be great to have the best horse, and it would have pretty good winnings as well, as that is, be honest, what people are breeding to. No, I'm not in this game for the money, I've never had above a hundred mil, but I was annoyed that there weren't purses on the events because in the rules it never said explicitly "the purse on the events will be 0" and I remember someone questioning if the events would be based on winnings and if that had been clear it wouldn't have come up.

Then again the olympics are an amazing community event and we owe it all to Bama who worked tirelessy so not making on thing clear is fine with me now. I'd hate to have people jumping over me about a detail when I'd organized a huge event to showcase peoples skills. And I sadly probably annoyed you, Bama, when I first found out about the purse.
Sutton

Postby Rain » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:06 am

I've only skimmed the thread, so I'm sorry if this was covered, but I'm pretty sure elise is just making an observation. Saying "we can't have nice things because you people are greedy!" is kind of out of place here. It was applicable when people lost their pewp about Halloween breeds and how they "worked so hard" answering trivia questions to be able to have the breed, and so they thought no one else should have them. THAT was greedy. THAT is why we can't have nice things. However, elise was making an observation that eventers were not told there would be zero entry fees. I don't care if it's realistic or not, they weren't told. End of story. She's not saying her horses need 100M or a HUUUGE prize, she's just saying she wishes she would have been told. Every eventer went into this knowing their horse wouldn't make much money. I had at least one conversation with someone about this and they were NOT upset, they knew that was how it was going to be, especially considering horses would be in probably less than 200 events. Logic tells you the horse won't make anything.

Saying elise and people who agree with her don't appreciate what the Ops, Nef, and the stewards are doing is just... horse poop. :) Disagreeing is not against the rules, last I checked.
ImageImage
Rain

Previous

Return to VHR Olympics