Entry fees?

The place to come for registering and the latest info about the VHR Olympics

Re: Entry fees?

Postby Prancer » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:31 pm

Does ANYONE have ANY idea what the REAL Olympics are? You do all realise that the participants in the real Olympics dont get cash, right? They also 'only' get a medal for their efforts, although in some countries they can apparently cash in the medals for actual money, yet not many athletes take that route. I actually cannot believe how people are acting.

If you dont like it, pull your horses out, dont enter the events, whatever you want to do. Let the real competitors actually take part and have the whining be gone. You are 'only' getting a medal, but you do realise you will be amongst the first people and very few people on vhr with a medal? The recognition that comes with that shows other people that you are a damn good trainer, you are amongst the best in that year. And yet people still want money for it. How greedy are you people?

You know what, I feel sorry for Alabama for how much effort she went to do make these Olympics for you lot, and yet there are still complainers. I hope she doesnt do this again, it will stop her wasting her time again.
Image <-- Phanty & Prancy = Slytherin buddies :twisted:
Prancer

Postby Jellybeanjoe » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:44 pm

This is one of the reasons I'm getting sick of eventing on VHR. It's all about money.

Basically everyone got the impression PRIOR to starting that it would be open competition. That the 'normal' eventing procedures would be tossed out the window. Even if prize money had been involved, you should have realised that whatever you had earned would have been far less than if the horse turned out to be a good eventer normally. If you had been in for the money only, this would have been the point you should have decided to not take part.

Personally? I find some of the comments on this thread disgusting. Even the real Olympics are all about the prestige, the best, who got the timing right and who got lucky. And even for those who don't do very well? It's all about the community and 'Olympic Spirit'. And yet, I've only heard about players complaining there's no prize money? That all you're getting is medals?

You do realise this has been Bama's pet project for MONTHS. And I mean months. I cannot guess how many hours since the new year she's put into this.

So please, for the love and respect you feel for Bama, please stop complaining. Can you imagine how she feels when she reads some of your posts?
Jingle bells, Dragon smells! Christmas in July is here!
Jellybeanjoe
Wibbly Wobbly Op

Postby Odette » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:03 pm

+1 for Prancer & Jelly.Thank you both for writing all those for me,I was too lazy to do it.

+100000000000000000 for Bama.She deserves more than a HUGE thanks.Not only for the Olympics ,but also for her tolerance :wink:
Odette

Postby ThisMissJockey » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:16 pm

Way to go Jelly and Prancer!

Bama has not only had to put a ton of time getting everything set up but the fact she has had to answer the same questions 20 different times when if anyone had read the rules they would have had their answers - they were written in plain English for all to understand.

No one forced you to buy expensive breedings or trainings for entrants in the Olympics so the fact that some want compensation for that is outrageous. How about the 'bragging' rights that your horse made it through the heats against a great amount of outstanding competitors? I find just the name plates a grand reward but to throw in medals too? Perfect! It should just make a person feel grand that they breed/trained/evented an Olympic worthy horse.

Bama deserves more respect than this and I think we should show it a little more.

YAY BAMA!!! THANK YOU for all your hard work and time spent putting this together! You did a phenomenal job that could not be matched.
ThisMissJockey

Postby Hawk » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:37 pm

Massive kudos to Prancer, Jelly, Odette and MissJockey. You guys rock.

I've watched the complaints and whining going on via forums as well as in the chat and all I can think is This is why we can't have anything nice. The VHR birthday parties, the Halloween contests, Christmas parties... Everything... All these things have been cancelled in the past and every time someone or a group of someones puts their heart, spirit and time into setting up something for the fun and enjoyment of the players, there is always a high volume of complaining because it's not enough, we want more, gimme gimme gimme. This is supposed to be something fun for all to enjoy, but the greed, as always ends up ruining it and we all just decide it's so not worth the effort anymore. Anyone remember the Halloween party and events, all the greed and drama that flooded the forums? *Sighs*

Yup, this is why we can't have anything nice.

Bamalama, you are amazing! :dog:

It is a shame so many wish to whine over a little fake money. I say everyone that wants to complain, needs to chip in to pay Bama for all the time and effort she put into organizing and setting all of this up. Months of work, many hours a day. We only owe her around $4800 for all the time she put into this. But then again, we may need that to hire a cleaning company to come in and clean up all the manure that's being dumped on her hard work.
Hawk
Featherless Op with Pink Hoody & Bunny slippers.

Postby Nickster » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:49 pm

Just wanted to say thank you to Alabama and all that made this possible. I wasn't complaining or anything, I was just wondering why some of the events had entry fees and some didn't. I wasn't trying to start a scene or anything. Thank you again for making this possible, I think it was an amazing idea, and I'm amazed at home much time and effort you put into it to make it all work out. I'm very happy to be competing in the first Olympics, and I think just the thrill of being able to compete is worth more than anything.
Nickster

Postby greenfoxx » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:51 pm

Amen to Prancer and Jelly, and those who also supported that.
greenfoxx

Postby Chassie » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:09 pm

Thanks Alabama for organising this event it's awesome :D I'm so excited about it, I was so nervous when training my horse that I was shaking incase I made a mistake! I am so excited and i'm really hoping I do well, I bred and trained my horse myself and I really want some bragging rights if she does well! I'm so glad we are getting all these awesome prizes like exclusive medals and name plates :D. It would be nice to think that in future years I can compete alongside the best horses out there as that is what the olympics are for and I want to prove myself as a good trainer and eventer alongside all the best on here, so I would hate for people to use lesser horses just due to money. I know that all the horses that compete, no matter how well they do will be valuable in their own right as I'm sure everyone will recognise the effort that has gone into making them part of this event. As I've posted before i think it'd be awesome if every horse got a rank at the end (kinda like the olympics) so you can brag about exactly how well your horse did. If there are future olympics (and I really hope there are) it'd be kinda cool to have qualifying rounds, what do you guys think? It'd be kinda cool to be able to say you had to qualify but your horse made it :D... I guess I'm overly focused on being able to brag LOL!

Summary: Yay for prestige over winnings XD!
- Home of the British Warmblood -
Main RanchImage Sales RanchImage Click the Image for Link
Chassie

Postby 208anna » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:37 pm

I wasn't complaining I am happy with a medal as I said previously....
208anna

Postby Banafrit » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:32 pm

I will be ecstatic if I am lucky enough to win a medal. And if everyone is so concerned with money, then sell your horses or breedings to your horses after the Olympics. I'm sure if there was an opportunity to buy horses or breedings to any horses which placed high within the Olympics, people would jump on the opportunity.

Don't focus on the earnings. Earnings aren't everything anyways. Think about being able to post in the Showcase/Brag section saying, "My horse had a W/P/S of ____% in the Olympics." Take pride in that. Being able to say that, to me at least, is much more valuable then a horse which earned a few million.

You will have many other opportunities to own money earners on this game. But very few opportunities to own an Olympic Champion.

Alabama, please know how grateful I am for you taking your time to put this on for us. For the last week my mind has been completely obsessed with the VHR Olympics and I am honored to be a part of it. The effort and organization which you have exhibited is astounding and it's players like you that make me proud to say that I play the game.

Chassie, I like your idea about ranking all of the horses. Maybe instead of adding it to Alabama's already huge list of things to do, you or another player could start a thread in the Showcase/Brag section similar to the highest earners by breed/discipline and have players post their horses after they are eliminated and keep updating things as they move along. If Alabama doesn't already have something prepared and if you are not able to do it I would gladly step up and do it.

I Good Search for The Cat House on the Kings.
Banafrit

Postby -Dreamy- » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:44 pm

I just wish people realized that Bama did not have to do this, she did because she wanted to. And also that honestly, if all the whining and crap continue, no one will get anything and it will be a big waste of our own time. No one forced any one else into doing the olympics. This is all about showing off how well and capable you are in a certain discipline. If you think it's a waste of time so be it, don't join, and don't be recognized as someone who took the challenge. So big hugs to Bama! She has put up with all of us and did this so the whole community could partake in something together. :)
Main Ranch~ Lady A: 557243 http://www.virtualhorseranch.com/viewra ... nch=557243
Breeding: 413554 ABC TBs: 587721
Sales: 588778
-Dreamy-

Postby Shekeira » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:56 pm

I just want to say "thank you" to Bama for putting all this time and effort into getting the Olympics together. Sure, some of my blooded horses won't have earnings, but they'll still have the prestige of being an Olympic competitor, and that's good enough for me.

<3 to Bama.
Shekeira

Location: Playing with giant flaming birds and trying to placate transforming robots.

Postby Zimmy » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:18 pm

Banafrit wrote:Don't focus on the earnings. Earnings aren't everything anyways. Think about being able to post in the Showcase/Brag section saying, "My horse had a W/P/S of ____% in the Olympics." Take pride in that. Being able to say that, to me at least, is much more valuable then a horse which earned a few million.

You will have many other opportunities to own money earners on this game. But very few opportunities to own an Olympic Champion.

YES!

And this is, sadly, why I was afraid that taking part would turn out to feel stressful for me right now, it's supposed to be fun... why all the drama?

And I, personally, didn't charge people extra to train for the Olympics either. lol.

Anyway, I get to sit back and root for horses that I trained without the worry of the rest (though I felt a pang of regret for staying out once I saw the little Olympic nameplates! To me that right there is special!)
Zimmy

Postby Jellybeanjoe » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:25 pm

Zimmy wrote:
Banafrit wrote:Don't focus on the earnings. Earnings aren't everything anyways. Think about being able to post in the Showcase/Brag section saying, "My horse had a W/P/S of ____% in the Olympics." Take pride in that. Being able to say that, to me at least, is much more valuable then a horse which earned a few million.

YES!

And this is, sadly, why I was afraid that taking part would turn out to feel stressful for me right now, it's supposed to be fun... why all the drama?

And I, personally, didn't charge people extra to train for the Olympics either. lol.

Anyway, I get to sit back and root for horses that I trained without the worry of the rest (though I felt a pang of regret for staying out once I saw the little Olympic nameplates! To me that right there is special!)

Same! And so unexpected :D

Though I am a realist. Although I (now) really wanna take part, life is busier than I'd like and I probably wouldn't enjoy taking part as much >.> Still, I can stalk around and watch everyone >D And root for the one horse I've trained taking part LOL
Jingle bells, Dragon smells! Christmas in July is here!
Jellybeanjoe
Wibbly Wobbly Op

Postby miss sarabi » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:38 pm

Bama has put so much into this as a gift to the community. It's disappointing to see the lack of respect shown. Bama, you are fabulous!
miss sarabi

PreviousNext

Return to VHR Olympics