possible glitchy events ?

Please report any bugs you've noticed here.

possible glitchy events ?

Postby metallique » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:59 pm

http://www.virtualhorseranch.com/events ... ent=475160
http://www.virtualhorseranch.com/events ... ent=475161
http://www.virtualhorseranch.com/events ... ent=475162
http://www.virtualhorseranch.com/events ... ent=475163

Now I understand events are partly random, but in everyone of these (under 6 dressage) the 16yo horse has come 16th, then decently trained 6yos have come behind it? with a MASSIVE score difference compared to how they normally compete? For example, my horse went from a score of 85.something to...190.something? o_O Even if the 16yo horse has been aged since, why the massive score difference? =/
metallique

Re: possible glitchy events ?

Postby Alabama » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:13 am

Do you own any of the horses coming in after the 16 y.o.? I ask because it might be something such as the horses not being in the correct mood, not having tack, etc.
Alabama

Postby metallique » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:47 am

I only own one of them...he is fully tacked, disc fully maxed and tranq'd down to minimum hyperness, with an NPC 127 english rider...4 other events ran on the exact same turn (also u6 events), and he won 3 and came second in the other one...just seems odd that a 16yo would be beating 6yos in an u6 event
metallique

Postby Alabama » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:40 am

Looking at those events more closely, the horse that is placing 16th actually has much higher intelligence than any other horse in there. Since intell accounts for 10% of the event, I'd say if the events weren't age restricted, it'd be full out winning them. It also gets a bonus for being closer to optimum age, which the other horses don't get any bonus at being under even the minimum age for age bonuses. As long as the horse isn't placing in the money (top 5), I don't think I'd consider it a glitch.

As for why your horse or the other horses placed so low in those events, it may be a set of random events. Just like with the other random factors, it may not be just one event ever so often, you may get a series of events that are random or you may have long stretches where none are random. You would need more than just four events run from the same account at almost the same time to say there may be a glitch.
Alabama

Postby metallique » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:04 am

ok =/ this happened in 4 more, where the (6yo) horse is suddenly going from a score of 80-something in most of its events to 190-something with nothing in between, and it's the ones where this 16yo is entered, but I didn't realise the events [except gymkana] could be completely random
metallique

Postby Alabama » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:12 am

They aren't "completely" random.. Usually, it's one or two horses that place randomly, which in turn changes placing for other horses. If the horses are close in scores (within a point or two of each other), it can make it seem more random as the horses jockey for placings. Dressage is one of the events notorious for having closely scored horses. In the events you listed, the top 10 horses are within 3 points from 1st to 10th. I think when I was testing Dressage for randomness, the score range of an individual horse was about 2 points.

Conformation is the only event that has predetermined set scores for events with no age or skill bonuses and the horses aren't trained while being evented. Even there, sometimes the horse that always places first might be bumped out by a random horse, or it might be the random horse and gets bumped somewhere down the line. That's why Dragon's confy horses, which have the best confy scores don't have 100% placing record. In the other events, the scores aren't set, each training changes something about the horse, increasing this or that stat, changing potential on two stats, bringing the horse closer or further from age bonus, the event scoring itself might change slightly because of "judges" (Run a horse through the same trial event a few times without training or taking a turn and you'll see the "range" it might be scored in), etc.

The 16 yo horse isn't the random horse if it's placing consistently.
Alabama

Postby metallique » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:17 pm

if the randomness is roughly 2 points though, why is this horses score varying by a HUNDRED or more points when run in similar events, tacked up the same, with the same rider, from the same account, on the same turn? =/

http://www.virtualhorseranch.com/viewho ... se=2081125

the confy/disposition are showing up the same, movement in the normal 174-176 range

http://www.virtualhorseranch.com/events ... ent=477177 here at 87.42
http://www.virtualhorseranch.com/events ... ent=475091 here at 191.38

it's always either 80.something or 190.something too. =/ it's not the placings, its the MASSIVE score variation on the same horse.
metallique

Postby Alabama » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:07 pm

The 2 point range is not random so much as what's built into the event. A horse can score anywhere between those 2 points, it's not random, it's a determined set of numbers. They will score within that range. Random would be no range, just luck of the draw. Just like a BC foal can be born anywhere within the range of say 10 points within a descriptor.

Your horse's score varies that much because your horse got randomized on those events. That's what happens, the score will change drastically. The events are not glitched. In events where the 16 year old ran and your horse didn't, it's running in about the same relative place. Yes, random can occur several times in a row, which is why it is random, there's no rhyme or reason, it just happens. Rather like getting stud foals several times in row when by all rights, you should be getting mares most of the time.

A glitch is something that happens over and over again with each event. That's not happening to your horse, at least we can't tell with only 24 events being run. It places well and then looks like randoms hit, then places well again. That's not a glitch. If after 50 events, it's still getting randomized a third of the time, then it might be something to look into. It's also not happening in every event the 16 year old horse is entered in, so that horse isn't a glitch either.
Alabama

Postby Kholran » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:26 pm

Something else to think about: Could it be possible the events in question ran while you were entering/training? I know that I train as I enter, so at times, the horse's energy is a little low after 6x training, or I haven't methed yet, or haven't cured after mething yet, etc. All of those things would cause the horse to bomb in any events run at the "wrong" moment.
Kholran
Time Lord

Postby metallique » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:56 pm

mk, thanks for clearing that up alabama, just one of those odd things I guess, it's just never happened to me that randomly before ^^ and they all ran with the horse being on the same turn kholran, so i guess just luck
metallique

Return to Report Bugs