Art Rules and Guidelines - Includes Signatures.

Please report any bugs you've noticed here.

Art Rules and Guidelines - Includes Signatures.

Postby Kholran » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:20 pm

Welcome to the artist's section of the forum! Chances are, if you've stumbled into this area, you're looking to either buy or sell artwork, banners, or layouts. That's great! We fully encourage our players' creativity. In this topic, you'll find everything you need to know about policies here on VHR regarding all things art related.

Please be aware that these rules also pertain to banners and layouts made but not posted for sale or display in the forums. Yes, this means that ALL layouts and banners used within the game or forums MUST follow the copyright rules. Not just individuals publicly selling the items.

Copyright Information

"Copyright" means, as one would expect, "the right to copy" a given image, for use in other projects. All photography and artwork belongs to the original artist. Sometimes, these artists are very nice people, and allow others to use their work to make things like lineart, banners, layouts, and photomanips. When an artist or photographer gives the public the right to use their images, it becomes "Stock".

Just because an image is online does NOT mean it's free to use. Not even if it appears in search engines. Images that come up on a Google search, for example, are copyrighted and may NOT be used without written permission.

To use an image on VHR, you must have the original photographer's/artist's permission to copy and use the image. In some cases, this permission is given right on the website, in the form of a Creative Commons license. This means that you don't have to ask the artist or photographer, because they give permission to everyone.

If you find a photograph, or piece of art, that you wish to use, and you do NOT see a statement in writing giving you permission, you must email the photographer or artist for permission. Keep the permission you get! We ops can and do scan for copyrighted images, and you may be asked to provide the permission you got to use the picture.

Some places to look for images that are okay to use are Flickr and Deviant Art. You still must follow the copyright holders rules of use and provide the proper credit and links to show the image is free to use creative commons.

Hawk wrote:Things that will get your thread locked, moved and account suspended:

Taking someone elses completed art, leaving or removing the signature / copyright.
Taking someone elses lineart, whether it be from a free line art site or a non use lineart and removing the sig / copyright and trying to sell it.
Attempting to sell / give away layouts from free sites, claiming it as your own.
Tracing someone elses work or photos.
Copying someone elses work or photo.
Using someone elses lineart that is stolen off copyrighted work. It's your responsibility to make sure the work you post here is legit to use, regardless of who ripped off the original artist.
Basically, if you have to question it, don't do it.
Reproducing model horses, this has never been allowed and violates the companies copyrights.
Using copyrighted photos in videos.
Not reading and signing the copyright thread.

Posting Your Art for Sale or Auction

So you've made a banner, layout, lineart, or manip that you want to sell. There are a few things you need to be sure to do in your sales post.

GIVE CREDIT!! You MUST include credit to the original artist or photographer ON the image/banner/layout itself, REGARDLESS of the artist's policy. Failing to credit the original artist/photographer will result in the image being removed until proper credit is given.

You MUST provide a link to each and every stock photo that you've used in your creation. Be sure that the copyright information is clearly evident on your link!

Good link (contains copyright info): http://www.flickr.com/photos/aureliovin ... 351129891/
Bad link (does not contain copyright info): http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1345/135 ... e24c_b.jpg

Failure to post links when posting a finished art project will result in the sale or auction being locked, or the images / layouts removed. If you still cannot provide copyright information for the photos used, you will earn 12 points and a 24 hour ban for copyright theft.

This includes old images you're using as examples. "I forgot where I found it" and "It's really old" are not excuses. If you can't find the sources again, don't post the image.

Suggested posting format for sales and auctions:

Code: Select all
Image:
Source Photo(s): http://www.PhotoSource.whatever
SB:
HB:
BIN: (if you are offering one)

For artists with Commission threads, this applies to EVERY banner you post. All finished products ready for pickup need to have the link(s) to your source(s).

If you allow your buyers to post their own photos, it is YOUR RESPONSIBILITY as an artist to ensure these images are stock. Just as it is the buyers responsibility to make sure images used are stock. We will not accept "But they provided the photos" or "I didn't bother to double check" when awarding violation points.

All of the original photographer's/artist's rules MUST be followed.

Signatures

Signatures are the text and banners that are attached to your forum posts.

The total size of your signature, including all banners, text, and other graphics, may not exceed 300 x 500 pixels.
If you need a size reminder on what 300 x 500 looks like, here it is:

Individual banners may not exceed 150 x 500 pixels.

Please remember that religion and politics are not permitted on the forums or in game. This includes messages and graphics in signatures.

Miscellaneous Info

*Sales or auctions for real money are not permitted.
*Harassing other players about their artwork is not permitted.
*If you see something you believe to be copyrighted or used inappropriately, contact an Op via PM.
*Copyright violations carry a penalty of 12 points and a 24 hour ban. Repeat offenders may find themselves banned from the forums permanently.
*Rules apply to photos in ANY format, be they layouts, lineart, videos, manips, banners, or anything else you might come up with.

If you want to post a commission or sales thread, or unlock an existing thread, you must reply to this post with the digital "signature" listed below:

Code: Select all
Player Name:
Main Ranch Number:
I have read and understand the rules concerning copyright.

*UPDATE*
You may credit yourself for images taken by you. However if it's discovered that you are not being truthful about ownership of an image, the resulting ban will be for ONE WEEK rather than the standard 24 hours for copyright violations.

This post is revised an expanded on from the original.
Kholran
Time Lord

Re: Artist Forum Rules and Guidelines *Updated 1/2/2012*

Postby BradleyCooper » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:08 am

Player Name: BradleyCooper97
Main Ranch Number: 606646
I have read and understand the rules regarding copyright.
<3 bradleycooper <3
*WARNING-Bradley Coopers Number 1 Fan...PERIOD*
BradleyCooper

Postby dpj » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:04 am

Player Name: Dpj
Main Ranch Number: 167780
dpj

Location: Sleeping in Tala's pocket with a crop to keep Jack from disturbing meh. XD 0.0 lol

Postby greenfoxx » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:19 pm

Player Name: greenfoxx
Main Ranch Number: 554455
greenfoxx

Postby paintbean » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:28 pm

Player Name: paintbean
Main Ranch Number: 30655
If you're interested in a pixie horse, please PM me. All other art requests can go through my art thread here.
paintbean

Postby Kelsey » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:36 pm

Player Name: Kelsey
Main Ranch Number: 22633
Kelsey

Postby Hawk » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:04 pm

Player Name: Hawk
Main Ranch Number: 31

I don't have a thread, but will do this anyway, as a just in case. =D
Hawk
Featherless Op with Pink Hoody & Bunny slippers.

Postby kittiegirl » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:40 am

Player Name: kittiegirl
Main Ranch Number: 45812
kittiegirl

Postby Byatzine » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:03 am

Player Name: Byatzine/Zine
Main Ranch Number: 147325
Byatzine

Postby AvaHunter » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:07 am

Just in case.

Player Name: Ava
Main Ranch Number: 449847

Question. In the case of layouts, are image credits given the way I am here ok from now on? Or must it be done with text links giving the photographers name? And must it be on the main layout (ie. visible all the time), or in cases where you use iFrame, can you have a credits page where all such info is listed in detail? Perhaps XX links on the main layout and details on a separate page?
AvaHunter

Postby Rain » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:12 pm

Just in case.

Player Name: Rain
Main Ranch Number: 172
ImageImage
Rain

Postby Kholran » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:31 pm

AvaHunter wrote:
Question. In the case of layouts, are image credits given the way I am here ok from now on? Or must it be done with text links giving the photographers name? And must it be on the main layout (ie. visible all the time), or in cases where you use iFrame, can you have a credits page where all such info is listed in detail? Perhaps XX links on the main layout and details on a separate page?

Either way is fine, as long as it's clearly marked. We shouldn't have to search around for hours just to find your image credit links :lol:
Kholran
Time Lord

Postby rebs9 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:23 pm

Just in case, and to say I have read it

Player Name: MartinetCheval
Main Ranch Number: 288529
rebs9

Postby Starrponeh » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:48 pm

Player Name: Starrpony
Main Ranch Number: #506589

Thanks for the warning :) Will be posting credit from now on with every single graphic instead of just some. lol
Starrponeh

Postby Alias » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:53 pm

Player Name: Aliastyger
Main Ranch Number: 183320

-----------------
Also, I am signing this before I even attempt any artsy-stuff, because it's a good idea for everyone to read these new rules :3
Image Image
My two ladies of writing inspiration for NaNoWriMo this year. Cannot wait to spend the month writing with them!
Alias

Location: Protecting VHR's prestigious bloodlines by forming The Bloodline Police!

Next

Return to Report Bugs