Paints: A Colour Based Breed?

Have a technical question you can't find the answer to in FAQ's? Ask it here. Game problem questions that do NOT pertain to things like training advice, what would my horse do well in, how much is it worth.

Paints: A Colour Based Breed?

Postby Hound » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:58 am

Just wondering if Paints are a colour based breed on VHR. What I mean is... I know that Golden American Saddlebreds will be born from two Saddlebreds if the foal is born Palomino. But if you breed two Quarterhorses, and the foal results in Pinto colouring.. will it be born a Paint. o.0 I hope that made sense. ^^
Hound

Postby Alabama » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:00 am

Paints are not a color based breed on VHR
Alabama

Postby Hound » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:01 am

Can they be born from a Quarterhorse pair though, if they are born Pinto coloured?

I was just checking bloodlines on a Paint lad I picked up a few days ago...
http://www.virtualhorseranch.com/viewho ... se=1410500
Hound

Postby Excelzier Warmbloods » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:34 pm

Paints are not a color based breed in VHR or in RL.
Excelzier Warmbloods

Postby Alabama » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:20 pm

Here are the crosses that will give you paints in VHR. They are not color based.
A Cowboys Legend x Paint
A Cowboys Legend x Pintabian
Paint x Paint
Paint x Thoroughbred
Paint x Arabian
Paint x American Quarter Horse
Paint x Grade Stock
Paint x Quarab
Paint x A Cowboy's Legend
Paint x Descendent of Man O War
Paint x Descendent of Marengo
Paint x Descendent of Pharlap
Paint x Irish Thoroughbred
Paint x Pintabian
Alabama

Postby Mythara » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:04 pm

Paints are a colour based breed. All these horses are crap, but I on't have trained stock horses lying around, lol.

Pinto American Quarterhorse Mare x Pinto American Quarterhorse Stallion = Pinto Paint foal

It doesn't work with all stock horses though. I've bred a pinto ACL before.
Mythara

Postby Hound » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:08 pm

I know they're not colour based in real life, I own two. :D I was referring to VHR alone.

I'll try and rephrase what I was getting at, since I know Paints are not entirely colour based. I do quite a bit of outcrossing myself on VHR.

But, apparently, you can also get a Paint from a Quarterhorse x Quarterhorse cross. The Paint colt I bought is from a cross like this. Now, I'm assuming he came out Paint because he was born Pinto in colour. And it looks like his mother was dyed Pinto, since neither her sire or dam sports the colour. Now this proves that it is possible to get a Paint from a QHxQH cross. I'm wondering if a Paint is always going to be the guaranteed result if you were to cross Pinto coloured QHs. Or in that case, any stock type breed?
Hound

Postby Hound » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:09 pm

Thank you Mythara, I was curious if it worked with all stock types.. Or just the Quarterhorse. I'm going to have to test out some different ones, but I shall cross the ACLs off the list. :)
Hound

Return to Questions/Support