How not to be a sucker - PLEASE READ

READ HERE FOR FULL FORUM ACCESS. Frequently asked questions and answers. All rules and terms of service for virtual horse ranch apply here, to view them, please check http://www.virtualhorseranch.com/tos.php

How not to be a sucker - PLEASE READ

Postby Nefertete » Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:09 pm

I have probably spent a total of 20 hours and banned well over 200 accounts (from 6-7 different players) in the past 5 business days dealing with players that have tried to scam people. I am not sure how more to educate the players on how to avoid this, and I will be adding new policies and rules in for this. I am not banning people for sharing passwords- but for being dishonest to obtain yours or what ever it is to scam you.

As I still intend to not tolerate people lieing for things to get free things, I am asking for everyone
to make this a lot more tougher for them.

NEVER GIVE OUT YOUR PASSWORD
NEVER 'SHARE' AN ACCOUNT

If you do, your screwed. We do have a policy on dealing with this (http://www.orbisgames.com/help_players.php)

I can not think of one situation on where you will need to give out your password or log in information.

If someone gets their account stolen or ruined one more time, I will put a simple rule up: your banned if you give out your information.

To safetly trade an account, use a volunteer to broker the deal, send a message to in-game support asking for help.

NEVER TRADE BLINDLY

I have this posted on the first page when you log in but I will reprint it, please read it or reread it again:

When doing a transaction, the following should raise Red Flags.
1. If the deal sounds too good to be true, It is.
2. The person asks you to send the playcash/trade to a high number/new novice account.
3. It is the persons first time to post on the forum, if you met them through the forums.
4. The person sounds like a young kid - says words like wut instead of what, and sum1 instead of someone.
5. The account you are sending cash to has had very little activity - no special horses and such.

Steps to take to help assure you are not getting scammed:
1. If the transaction includes them buying something for you with real $$, Verify that they have a paypal account. Ask them for their paypal email.
2. Ask around for references on the player, see if they have sucessfully completed such trades before.
3. Have a middleman (volunteer game operator/master) get involved. Agree with the person that a volunteer game operator/master will safetly hold the playcash for the other party until their side of the transaction is complete. A volunteer will not scam you or the other, you can ask them to middle-man by sending a message to support. Even if something horrible goes wrong, such as a bug or something takes all of the volunteers playcash, it will still be under security of Orbis Games.
4. If you are still sketpical about the person, email myself at [email protected] to check them out.
5. Make sure that you keep track of the person's ranch/kennel you are completing the trade with. Write it down somewhere or bookmark it.

You can even email me at [email protected] to check out the person you wish to do a trade with.

Here is our policy that is linked above on account security:
Account Security Policy
Upon registration, you must select a password and an username.
You are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your Information and are responsible for any harm, lost or deleted content, etc. resulting from your disclosure, or allowing the disclosure of any password or username from use by any person of your information to gain access to your Account. IF YOU GIVE SOMEONE YOUR INFORMATION, ORBIS GAMES IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY LOSS OR DAMAGE DONE TO YOUR ACCOUNT, EMOTIONAL DISTRESS OR DISCONTENT CAUSED BY YOUR GIVING OUT YOUR LOG IN INFORMATION. On certain circumstances we may discipline other players whom 'scam', lie about their position, to obtain your information. By disciplining we may ban or suspend the accounts or block access to the user whom lied to retrieve this information. However, Orbis Games is not obligated to recover any harm done to your acount by result in you giving out your information, username and password.
IN NO CASE WILL AN ORBIS GAMES REPRESENTATIVE, VOLUNTEER, OR EMPLOYEE ASK YOU FOR YOUR PASSWORD.

As I do manage to ban all these players who attempt to scam players, and will continue to do so- I would like to spend my time making the game better rather than this.
Please help me do this by making it impossible for those dishonest people to do what they do.

Thank you,
Shannon
Last edited by Nefertete on Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nefertete
Game Owner

Re: How not to be a sucker - PLEASE READ

Postby Silence » Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:17 pm

Nefertete wrote:I have probably spent a total of 20 hours and banned well over 200 accounts in the past 5 business days dealing with players
that have or tried to scam people. I am not sure how more to educate the players on how to avoid this, and I will be adding new policies and rules in
for this.

200? o_o omgosh.
Silence

Postby Tala of Black Magick » Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:18 pm

Banning people from giving out their information? o.o!

And 200, wow. o.0;
A R T [ C L O S E D ]Image
Tala of Black Magick

Location: In Free's Dulce Purse messing with her Chihuahua's ears OR nesting in Silver's hair. x3

Postby Cappuiccino2 » Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:19 pm

Wow 200!!! I will never share a Account any more >>
Cappuiccino2

Postby Nefertete » Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:20 pm

Banning people who have scammed players or tried to- most of those were multiple accounts from 5-6 different people.
Nefertete
Game Owner

Postby S.titches » Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:26 pm

Wow, that really makes me stop and think about how much you actually do for the game! 200 people! What a drag :roll:
S.titches

Postby Toffee » Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:31 pm

Woo!

>.>
<.<

Does that mean VHR will be faster? lmao XD
Toffee

Postby Nefertete » Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:06 pm

I thought I would mention that I have nailed these people attempting to cheat nice players real hard - it has been satisfying. Besides the 200+ account bans I have blocked their access, taken back what they took, and more- so they have lost all thier progress or ability to play - and it ends up that those who have scammed, are the real people who loose out, so no one should attempt to do it :lol:
Nefertete
Game Owner

Postby mad farm cow » Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:08 pm

nef could you pm me please
mad farm cow

Postby paintedbelle78 » Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:24 pm

Never have shared, never will. Thanks for enforcing this. :) *is stingy*
paintedbelle78

Postby Nefertete » Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:29 pm

One thing I want to make clear that seemed unclear over on VP - I am not trying to punish those people who have perfectly fine partnerships/account sharing, just trying to warn. On occasion they do go sour and well for the most part they work great.

I just want to help people to not loose their horses, accounts, playcash to another for an unfulfilled promise. Even if it is the dishonest one who ultimately gets screwed the most- still do continue to report this.
Nefertete
Game Owner

Postby HydeAway » Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:30 pm

That's an insane number of people. Good thing I don't share anything like that and only trust the highest of profile people and my friends I know personally when it comes to buying things that involve rl money.

HydeAway

Location: Hiding in a hole... Like Hussien, hiding from the US government... They're after us all!

Postby Nefertete » Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:42 pm

Again I will try and make this more clear :wink:

I did not ban people for sharing passwords, I banned people for scamming and stealing accounts

and that is now about 280 accounts from about 7 different people. Don't be dishonest or scam people unless you really want to loose everything here and make me real mad :P
Nefertete
Game Owner

Postby paintedbelle78 » Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:42 pm

Goodness, 280 accounts!?!? :shock:
paintedbelle78

Postby Broodmare_paint » Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:40 pm

o.O wow
Broodmare_paint

Location: In the freezer of course...close eet! Your letting the warm get in. <.<

Next

Return to FAQ's and Rules UPDATED! February 2016